Thursday, March 11, 2010

Rejections!

Four submissions to agents, four rejections. So far so good. For a first novel I don't expect my genius to be instantly appreciated. I am currently revising (threw out the old one and wrote a completely new one) my query.

I have also revamped the story, took a later chapter and moved it to the front, front-loading the action. So my former first chapter, which you can read in an earlier post below, has become my second chapter, and the former third chapter is now the first chapter. I think the way I had it flowed better, actually, but when an agent asks for the first chapter, and they don't get any action, it doesn't hook them in.

My new rule is 'Start with a body on the first page, maybe the first paragraph or even the first line'. I started a new story like this the other day, and it actually seems to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment