Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why Write

Because it's fun. I wrote a lot before I actually got down and finished a novel.

I have two more novels in the works, about half finished for one, and less than that for the second. Both have some promise, but I tend to get stuck and stop writing on a project, then take it up again months or even years later. A long gap like that doesn't seem to hurt the story flow. It helps in some ways, as I can go back and revise with less emotional attachment to a particular bit that I loved when I wrote it, but much later realize is overwrought.

I stopped working on those two and concentrated on the one I actually finished, so they have been sitting untouched now for over two years. I am getting excited to start a new novel, and haven't decided if I want to write a sequel to my finished novel, work on one of my old efforts, or start something new.

I have been dabbling with a few ideas, one a murder mystery. I have read few murder mysteries, so either I am coming at it with a fresh outlook, or am simply over my head. Easy answer. But the first chapter just flowed off my fingertips so easily.

I have an idea for a bronze-age adventure story, probably with fantasy elements. That grabs me more, but is proving harder to write. I need to sit down and plot it out a bit. My normal writing style is to create a character and just start in telling about him/her. The story evolves from the character's life. If the first chapter flows, I can worry about creating an interesting story that someone else might like to read. But the person comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment