Thursday, June 24, 2010

Synopsis, the Toughest Two Pages I Ever Wrote

I have been writing and rewriting the synopsis for my novel 'Eden's Rat'. Writing the novel was hard work, but it was more fun than it was work.

Writing the synopsis is only work. So far I haven't found one fun thing about it. I have been writing variations, posting them over at YALITCHAT for critisism, then taking them down and rewriting again.

What is disheartening is that they are getting worse rather than better. My first few attempts at least were humorous. The last one was dry AND confusing, according to the critics.

The story itself is not a straightforward adventure, but has several character points of view, and some complex motivations. Even the main villains have honorable goals, though their methods may be doubtful.

All this is hard to convey in a synopsis in a way that even begins to make sense. I am working on a new one now. It is narrative form, A to B to C, and quite dry. My goal in this one is simply to explain the story in a way that makes sense to someone who hasn't read the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment